Worker Health and Safety Advocate - Public Citizen Bachelor's Degree Job6 months ago - Medical / Healthcare Job - Washington, D.C. - 126 views
The worker health and safety advocate will play a leading role managing Congress Watch’s policy and advocacy on occupational health and safety-- including in the topic areas of whistleblower rights, environmental impacts on worker health, appropriations implications, and others as necessary, and manage related public education and outreach.
- Identify emerging issues and advocacy needs and take the lead in developing policy proposals and drafting legislation.
- Working with the Vice President of Legislative Affairs and Deputy Director of Congress Watch, plan and execute legislative and regulatory advocacy campaigns, potentially including some chosen work with targeted state legislatures which the advocate will identify.
- Research and write white papers, reports, fact sheets, letters, testimony, and comments on proposed rules and bills. Testify before Congress, state legislative bodies, and administrative agencies.
- Represent Public Citizen in public forums. Work with and organize coalition partners as well as individuals affected by policies on which Public Citizen advocates.
- Develop and maintain media relationships and respond to press inquiries. Develop and execute social media and traditional media outreach plans. Write editorial board memoranda, press releases, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, and blog posts.
- Recruit and manage interns and volunteers as needed for campaign work.
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS: J.D., M.S. or M.P.H., expertise in occupational health preferred, and at least three years of experience with legislative or regulatory advocacy required. Outstanding analytical thinking, political judgment, and oral and written communication skills. Strong impulses to self-start and self-finish. Collaborative spirit, high energy, and enthusiasm.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: We offer a competitive salary and great benefits which include:
· Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children
· Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
· 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
· 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
· Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
· Student loan reimbursement program
How to Apply
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email and in the filenames of attachments.