Staff Software Engineer, Video - Fleet Safety Relevant Educational Qualifications Job2 weeks ago - Other categories - Texas City - 28 views
About the role
Samsara's Fleet Safety team is seeking an experienced Staff Software Engineer with a background in video processing to join our growing team. As a Staff Engineer at Samsara, you will be a technical leader that brings fresh ideas and expertise to guide the team's technical design and architecture and enable increasingly complex features and customer use cases. You will work on specific projects critical to Samsara's needs alongside other highly-skilled Samsara engineers and push Samsara's technical capabilities forward.
Samsara's Fleet Safety team builds features utilizing Samsara's GPS Fleet Tracking and AI Dash Cam hardware products to improve driver safety using AI and data analysis to create web and mobile workflows, provide real-time driver feedback, and streamline video-based coaching. Samsara customers utilize these features to create safety programs that improve fleet safety, reward safe driving practices, and exonerate drivers in no-fault accidents. This position can be office based or fully remote.
In this role, you will
- Design and develop advanced video processing pipelines for Samsara's camera products
- Optimize on-device and cloud video processing to improve efficiency and create opportunities for new capabilities
- Collaborate with other Samsara teams building video products to further develop a shared platform
- Directly influence the vision and roadmap for our video offerings
- Collaborate with Samsara's firmware teams to add new device capabilities that support critical web and mobile features
- Champion, role model, and embed Samsara's cultural principles (Obsess Over the Customer, Build for the Long Term, Growth Mindset) as we scale globally and across new offices
Minimum requirements for this role
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 8+ years working with H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, and/or VP8/VP9 codecs in production applications
- Expertise collaborating with firmware/embedded systems teams
An ideal candidate also has
- Expertise with WebRTC
- Expertise with FFmpeg APIs
- Demonstrated ability to ship production-quality software in a dynamic environment
Working at Samsara has its perks: for all full-time global employees, we provide private medical and dental insurance plus growth and development opportunities, as well as regular virtual team and company events. In the US we offer flexible vacation time, EMEA employees receive 25 vacation days plus national bank holidays. Post-COVID we'll be back in our global offices with numerous in-office perks.
Samsara is an inclusive work environment, and we are committed to ensuring equal opportunity in employment for qualified persons with disabilities. Please let us know if you require any reasonable accommodations for your interview (e.g., sign language interpreters, reading assistance, facility access, device or equipment modification, etc.)
Samsara's offices are beginning to reopen for voluntary return. Reopening timelines will be communicated by region based on region-specific guidelines. Phase 3 ('New Normal') will begin no earlier than January 2022. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing. Employees are able to work from countries and states where Samsara is a registered entity through December 2021. All employees are expected to return to our offices when they reopen with the exception of field-based and fully remote roles.
If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to contact us at (see application details).
While each team and office has its own culture, we all come together around a set of philosophies for how we work together, tackle challenges, and grow our business. If these ideas resonate with you, Samsara might be a great fit.