Sr Director, Employment Relations & Compliance Bachelor's Degree Job4 months ago - Administrative / Management Jobs - New York City - 121 views
Under the supervision of the AVP, Risk Management and Contracts (AVP of Risk Management), the Senior Director of Employee Relations & Compliance (SD of Employee Relations) works in concert with the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the AVP of Human Resources (AVP of HR) and AVP of Risk Management to provide leadership and guidance on the administration of all employee relations issues, developing strategies to minimize the number and impact of legal claims related to agency employment practices. This position oversees the resolution of employee performance issues, and the smooth voluntary and involuntary exiting of employees from the agency. May be called upon to serve as surrogate in absence of AVP of HR.
The SD of Employee Relations shall possess the following core competencies which are key to the fulfillment of the requirements for the SD of Employee Relations position:
The SD of Employee Relations must embody the values and mission of the Fortune Society. This includes meeting our participants where they are in the re-entry process, demonstrating our values through compassion and understanding; and affirming that none of us should be measured against the worst things we have done.
The SD of Employee Relations must have the capacity to engage all of our staff, which consists of a diverse and inclusive group of people of varied backgrounds, with many having lived experience with the criminal justice system. The SD of Employee Relations shall have the necessary emotional intelligence to navigate complex investigative and employee relation matters all the while maintaining an objective and neutral fact-finding process.
The SD of Employee Relations must be a highly-organized and effective documentarian. This individual is charged with the management and oversight of all employee investigations and must keep all records in accordance with any relevant internal policies as well as any applicable laws and regulations from our funding and licensing authorities.
The SD of Employee Relations must be adaptive and proactive in the management of revolving/competing deadlines and must be anticipatory and efficient in response to the unpredictable nature of the work.
Analytical Capacity and Reporting Skills
The SD of Employee Relations must be proficient at analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of documentation, reports, relevant case law and regulatory information that arise during the course of an investigation. Additionally, the SD of Employee Relations must be able to translate investigative findings into a comprehensive report which details the relevant facts of the investigation, the applicable policies and rules and presents a well-reasoned recommendation for agency action.
Employment Law and Regulation Resource
The SD of Employee Relations must have extensive knowledge of employment law (Federal, State and Local) and as such shall be a resource available to the Fortune Society.
- Develop strategies to manage employee relations issues. Provide counsel and training to managers on how to properly document performance issues in accordance with legal requirements and agency values.
- Investigate employee grievances and complaints in coordination with the outside legal counsel and internal leadership. Issue report on investigation findings, include recommendations for disciplinary actions in accordance with potential legal exposure and agency values.
- Review and recommend policies and procedures related to employment practices, ensuring agency compliance with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
- In consultation with AVP of HR, develop an HR Investigations Management Dashboard and report on key metrics on a monthly basis. This should include but is not limited to: turnover, # of disciplinary actions, positions filled and status of legal cases.
- Work with AVP of HR to ensure the overall smooth running of the HR department.
- Serve as a member of and active contributor to the leadership team
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of educations and experience required; Masters or JD preferred; credentialing in HR (S/PHR or SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP) a plus;
- Must possess solid knowledge of federal, state and city labor laws and regulations and expectation s/he will stay abreast of legal or regulatory changes affecting HR;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Human Resources or related area in a fast-paced organization including at least 3 years of experience in employee relations, preferably in a not-for-profit organization;
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team and working across a multi-site structure;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning and reporting purposes;
- Practiced in performance management and employee relations; must have exceptional investigation and documentation skills that will meet legal standards;
- Superior skills in MS Office including Excel, Word, and PPT;
- Customer-focused with experience and ability to work with staff at a variety of levels and to coordinate multiple stakeholders and projects;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational and time management skills;
- Good self-direction and ability to problem solve and work as a team;
- Commitment to the values and culture of The Fortune Society; and
- A sense of humor.
Travel Requirements: Will require local travel to our program sites and citywide meetings where appropriate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, citizenship status, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
How to Apply
Please use the below link to apply to the position on the Fortune Society's website.