Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Distributed Storage) - Wikimedia Foundation Relevant Educational Qualifications Job1 week ago - ICT Jobs - California - 15 views
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to support and develop the platform serving the world’s favorite encyclopedia to millions of people around the globe. Wikipedia and its sister projects are powered strictly by Free and Open Source software with MediaWiki at its core surrounded by an ecosystem of micro services in PHP, NodeJS, Python, Go and Java.
The Wikimedia community generates a sizable amount of data, including freely-licensed media. As part of our team you would have the opportunity to solve storage, scaling, access and backup challenges Wikipedias’ scale provides.
We currently use Openstack Swift as our main object-storage system and Cassandra as the dominant NoSQL solution. We are interested in finding new and improved ways of utilizing the capabilities of the existing solutions as well as researching and potentially implementing other similar products.
We are a globally distributed and diverse team of engineers with a drive to explore, experiment and embrace new technologies. If you find what we do interesting, if you are up to the challenge of improving the reliability and delivery of one of the Internet’s top 10 websites, and you enjoy the idea of working in a remote-first role, we may just be the right place for you.
- Design, improve and operate the distributed storage and NoSQL systems serving Wikimedia projects
- Research, test and benchmark new storage and NoSQL solutions
- Respond to common database issues, following documented procedures
- Collaborate with SRE and other teams across the organization to ensure their specific storage, backup and DR needs are met on an ongoing basis
- Perform day-to-day operational/DevOps tasks on Wikimedia’s public facing infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Implement and utilize configuration management and deployment tools
- Assist in the architectural design of new services and making them operate at scale
- Monitor systems, services and service clusters, optimize performance and resource utilization
- Assist in or lead incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
- Mentor peers in your areas of technical and operational strength
- Share our values and work in accordance with them
- 3+ years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience with (Free and Open Source) distributed storage products (Openstack Swift, Ceph, etc.)
- Experience with NoSQL products (Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- History of automating tasks and processes, identifying process gaps and finding automation opportunities
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with database administration and support, debugging query performance and schema design
- Experience managing data backups and knowledge of popular Open Source backup management software (bacula, amanda, rdiff-backup/duplicity, etc…)
- Experience with centralized storage systems (SAN and NAS) and/or tape storage systems
- Low level systems troubleshooting and debugging (CPU/memory profiling, C/C++ experience, in-depth Linux knowledge)
- Experience with LAMP stack technologies (PHP/HHVM, memcached/redis, MySQL) - MediaWiki familiarity would be great!
- Developing Free and Open Source software, or being part of an open-source community
How to Apply