Senior Managing Editor Relevant Educational Qualifications Job1 week ago - Administrative / Management Jobs - Sacramento - 33 views
We are looking for a Senior Managing Editor for Macmillan Adult Trade. This role will oversee and manage seasonal title lists for original trade fiction and nonfiction, forecasting and planning, chairing production meetings, and setting up title records in the internal database. The Senior Managing Editor will review pricing and specs for seasonal feeds, liaise with Associate Publishers and other key stakeholders on the Trade side to set priorities, and set final print schedules as well as galley/ARC dates. This is a leadership position that requires excellent judgment and strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as an eye for detail.
What you'll do:
- List management. Liaise with publishers and other key stakeholders on scheduling and prioritization. Schedule and coordinate with marketing, editorial, and other departments regarding ARCs and bound galleys. Initial title set up in Biblio title database. Run scheduling meetings; solve scheduling problems.
- Oversee a team of Managing Editors and Production Editors, delegating and prioritizing work assignments and providing feedback/evaluating performance on a regular basis.
- Review/approve jacket/cover and text final materials for titles handled by associate managing editors, production editors, associate production editors, or assistants to the managing editor. Sign off on final prices, ISBNs, and bar codes. Ensure quality is maintained.
- Recommend procedural changes to Senior Executive Managing Editor.
- React quickly to title moves, seasonal drop-ins, and co-editions.
What you'll bring:
- Experience with project and team management
- Breadth of knowledge about trade publishing; experience scheduling trade fiction and nonfiction including 4C titles and/or cookbooks
- Ability to forecast and anticipate scheduling needs, including on compressed schedules
- Strong knowledge of grammar and punctuation, especially the Chicago Manual of Style
- Meticulous attention to detail; work well under pressure; superior oral and verbal communication
- Ability to successfully organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects under strict deadlines
- Passionate and knowledgeable about trade book publishing
- Strong computer skills
- At least eight years' experience as a managing editor or associate managing editor in book publishing
- Strong knowledge of publishing processes and industry standards; strong copyediting and proofreading skills
- Ability to respond quickly to scheduling changes
- Experience with digital copyediting and proofreading, digital workflows, and database and reporting technology (e.g., Microsoft Word Styles, Adobe Acrobat Reader Tools, Excel, and Google Applications)
- Bachelor's degree
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a part of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media group of companies headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.