Senior Director of State Fundraising Programs - League of Conservation Voters Relevant Educational Qualifications Job2 months ago - Administrative / Management Jobs - Washington, D.C. - 218 views
LCV is hiring a Senior Director of State Fundraising Programs who will work in partnership with our Conservation Voter Movement (CVM) state affiliates to develop strong state-based development programs. This role will work with state affiliate staff and boards to build their fundraising skills, develop and implement successful fundraising plans, and center their development programs in racial justice. The Senior Director of State Fundraising Programs will help strengthen the CVM development cohort by helping cultivate online and in-person opportunities for members to connect, share resources, and learn from one another. This position will play a critical role in supporting the growth and sustainability of state affiliate development programs, acting as a fundraising mentor and coach across the CVM.
Vice President of State Development
- Mentor selected state affiliates (5-7) to help them raise more money for their organization and build power for our movement. Each state’s needs will be different, but the general work of the fundraising mentor will include:
Assess where each state is starting, build a plan centered in racial justice and equity, and work with affiliate to implement a plan that positions them to address their unique fundraising challenges;
Sharpen board and staff fundraising skills through coaching and on-the-ground or virtual trainings, in coordination with the Vice President, State Racial Justice and Equity as well as the Vice President, Governance & Affiliate Services;
Coach states in creating fundraising and moves management plans; train and coach on prospecting and research;
Assist in hiring and coaching new development staff, ensuring that hiring practices are fair and equitable and aim to recruit more development staff of color;
Provide regular check-ins to practice skills and draft scripts, strategize on major and mid-level donors, and ensure fundraising plans are being well-executed and are culturally competent;
Measure and track progress of states involved in the fundraising mentor program, including metrics around racial justice and equity goals.
- Lead fundraising training for the CVM:
- Work with VP of State Development to develop and implement annual fundraising trainings, monthly development calls, implicit bias and other trainings;
- Assess the needs of the 30+ CVM state affiliates, develop training agendas, act as a trainer, and call on others in the cohort to share their skills and experience;
- Organize and deliver special fundraising support initiatives like an economy of scale in case statement development, database management, etc;
- Act as the conduit for information sharing about fundraising support available through LCV;
- Coordinate with LCV’s State Data Director to ensure that we maximize the use of EveryAction as the common database.
- Manage a small portfolio of donors to steward and solicit to keep fundraising and message skills current.
- Act as a thought partner and collaborator with VP of State Development:
- Work with CVM partners as we center racial justice in our movement-wide development work.
- Staff the CVM Development Racial Justice Working Group. Research strategies and tools to support racial justice and equity in fundraising;
- Monitor and track joint fundraising between state affiliates and LCV;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience:
- Required - 8+ years development experience, including some management experience. Experience in developing and implementing multi-faceted fundraising plans with a focus on individual donors. Strong understanding of a broad scope of the fundraising mechanics, including, but not limited to, individual and institutional giving, events, and prospect research. Demonstrated ability to manage up and willingness to approach things from a problem solving position. Experience in and knowledge of training and facilitation principles and best practices that inspire engagement, interaction, and trust-building. Demonstrated record of success in achieving fundraising results, and the ability to explain and help others replicate success. Experience working directly with boards of directors on fundraising goals. Experience with EveryAction, VAN, and/or Salesforce.
- Preferred – 5+ years as development director. Experience working on racial justice/environmental justice or centering racial justice in an organization. Experience coaching others on maximizing the use of their database. Experience fundraising in organizational structures that include 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and PAC entities. Experience working in affiliated networks with national and state entities. Passion for environmental justice and climate movements.
- Required - An organized and strategic approach to fundraising, work planning and training. Comfortable talking about race, class and oppression with a commitment to helping others center racial justice throughout the organizations and particularly in development departments. A team builder and a team player. Excellent listening communication and interpersonal skills. Excellent relationship builder. Excellent attention to detail. Systems-oriented. Flexible and able to identify and respond to needs as they arise. Curious, life-long learner, open to feedback.
- Preferred – Experience with coaching and the art and skill of asking questions and assessing needs. Experience designing trainings that center engagement and interactivities.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about difference, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Understands how environmental issues intersect with racism, economic and social inequality in the U.S. and has a passion for working to dismantle these systems.
- Conditions: The location of this position is flexible. The position is part of the State Capacity Building Department, half of whom work remotely; the team meets weekly with quarterly retreats. The position requires travel to work with state affiliates and for trainings, once travel is safe post-COVID. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
$88,000 - $132,000 (depending on experience)
Title: Senior Director of State Fundraising Programs
Department: State Capacity Building
Reports to: Vice President of State Development
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: F
How to Apply
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Senior Director of State Fundraising Programs” in the subject line by February 9, 2021. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
League of Conservation Voters
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future.