Senior Designer, MCPG Relevant Educational Qualifications Job1 week ago - Other categories - New York City - 50 views
Macmillan Children's Publishing Group is looking for a senior designer to join our 4-color team to conceive creative picture book designs for the Roaring Brook Press, FSG Books for Young Readers, Feiwel & Friends, and Henry Holt imprints. The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of commercial design & branding, knowledge of the children's book marketplace, and a keen eye for new ideas and trends.
What you'll do:
- Create and execute clever and fun picture book and graphic novel designs
- Design and manage all stages of book packaging (jackets, covers, interiors), from early concept to final bound book
- Assist Art Director on design tasks
- Route materials following department procedures and guidelines
- Typeset corrections to jackets, covers, and interiors throughout routing process
- Research and suggest illustrators
- Articulate concepts with polished, convincing sketch comps
- Collaborate closely with editorial team and other internal departments
- Deliver notes to and handle correspondence with illustrators
- Follow and help maintain on-time schedules
- Respond to queries and liaise with other departments on behalf of the 4-color team as requested
What you'll bring:
- Exceptional portfolio displaying strong typographic skills. The work you present should demonstrate creative
talent and a powerful sense of communication
- Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, Mac Platform
- Expert in color theory and design fundamentals
- Knowledge of and an interest in the book publishing industry
- An ability to collaborate and compromise with colleagues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Team player who is motivated to learn from colleagues
- A passion for children's books
- Minimum 3-5 years bookmaking experience, ideally in Children's Publishing.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in graphic design or other related field, or equivalent work experience.
Macmillan Publishers is a global trade book publishing company with prominent imprints around the world, publishing a broad range of award-winning books for children and adults in all categories and formats. Macmillan Publishers is committed to our authors, our employees, and to the environment.
U.S. publishers include Celadon Books, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Flatiron Books, Henry Holt & Company, Macmillan Audio, Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Picador, St. Martin's Press and Tor Books. In the UK, Australia, India, and South Africa, Macmillan publishes under the Pan Macmillan name. The German company, Holtzbrinck Deutsche Buchverlage, includes among its imprints S. Fischer, Kiepenheuer and Witsch, Rowohlt, and Droemer Knaur.
Macmillan Publishers is a part of the Holtzbrinck Publishing Group, a large family-owned media group of companies headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.