Product Designer - NDWA Labs Any Educational Level Job7 months ago - ICT Jobs - New York City - 164 views
Position Summary: NDWA Labs’ La Alianza media venture and chatbot puts vital information and resources directly into the hands of cleaners, nannies and home care workers. Launched as an experiment, La Alianza grew quickly to more than 200K domestic worker subscribers. In 2020 we aim to grow La Alianza in size and impact; launch a new initiative using chatbots to conduct working condition research; and integrate La Alianza with our other products, including Alia, the first portable benefits platform for domestic workers. In order to accomplish this, we are looking for a multi-talented Product Designer to create transformative and trust-inspiring experiences for domestic workers.
About Us: NDWA Labs is the innovation arm of the National Domestic Workers Alliance, one of the country’s leading progressive social movement organizations. At NDWA Labs, we’re building products that transform domestic work jobs into good jobs by bringing respect, living wages and benefits to an invisible, undervalued and vulnerable part of the economy. Rather than optimizing within the status quo, NDWA Labs leverages tech to disrupt power and fundamentally change the ways in which work is organized and paid for the millions of women and immigrants in the domestic work industry.
About You: You’re a seasoned product designer who wants to roll up your sleeves to help build something great. You are build-focused and human-centered. You’ve turned complex problems into simple and engaging mobile experiences. You’re skilled up and ready to own the design process on a small, passionate product team -- from conducting user research to prototyping to visual design to pitching in on coding HTML/CSS. You could design anywhere but you want to design for people typically overlooked by Silicon Valley and make tech work for them. You are meticulously detail-oriented and believe that every touchpoint matters. You are excited to work in a vibrant, women of color-led start-up and social movement environment.
The Role: You will lead design for a digital media platform that includes a chatbot, news website, facebook page and facebook groups (all in Spanish) and may expand to include other channels and languages. This position is currently funded for one year by a significant philanthropic investment and is likely to continue given successful outcomes. Key responsibilities include:
- Lead project discovery, defining user journeys, key behaviors, and core needs of worker-subscribers across La Alianza channels
- Participate actively in design, execution, analysis and decision-making for lean experiments, and in defining product strategy
- Create flows, prototypes, and sketches with an eye toward scalable design patterns and solutions
- Support development of a visual identity consistent across all touchpoints that communicates our brand and builds trust and relationship with workers
- Present design strategy and insights; solicit and synthesize feedback from peers on the product team and within the larger organization
- Package and deliver designs so they are ready for implementation, and in some cases implement them directly in order to support rapid experimentation
- Work with product team to monitor and ensure quality of user experience across La Alianza channels, contributing to QA processes
- Lead participatory design processes to co-create with diverse stakeholders, and gather actionable insights
- Collaborate with product team to communicate insights and learnings with NDWA staff, funders, media and other stakeholders
- 5+ years relevant experience in product design, including for mobile experiences
- Expertise in developing information architecture, interaction models, user flows, schematics, and visual design for products and services
- Experience conducting customer research ranging from insight protocols to usability tests
- Portfolio that demonstrates above experience and expertise
- Demonstrated comfort with using data and data analysis for driving decisions
- Demonstrated comfort with an iterative design process that includes accepting and acting on feedback, and with working collaboratively
- Proficient in HTML/CSS a plus
- Bilingual Spanish/English highly preferred
- A commitment to advancing progressive social change
Generous Benefits, including 100% coverage of health, dental and vision insurance for employees and their families; 5+ weeks of paid time off annually (prorated to the start date, including 3 weeks of office closure, most federal holidays, 12 days of vacation, and 12 sick days); 12 weeks of paid parental leave.
How to Apply
Applicant reviews to begin February 3, 2020. Women, People of Color, People with Disabilities and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and supporting materials here: https://domesticworkers.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=62