Outreach and Recruitment Specialist Relevant Educational Qualifications Job3 months ago - Education / Teaching Job - San Jose - 117 views
Outreach and Recruitment Specialist
Job no: 499480
Work type: Staff
Location: San Jose
Categories: Unit 4 - APC - Academic Professionals of California, Student Services, Probationary, Full Time
The Outreach and Recruitment Specialist, reporting to the CPGE Associate Dean for Academics and receiving work lead direction from the Director of the Student Success Center, works independently under limited supervision to recruit, advise, and counsel all new prospective undergraduate students applying to BS ISDA and other San Jose Online degree programs; conduct one on one meetings and group presentations for prospective applicants; review and evaluate transcripts and related documents to determine admissibility. Actively collaborates with other university staff involved in various aspects of admissions, records, and financial aid process to ensure that the applicant has the necessary information. The position works to build collegial relationships with college communities, San Jose Online units, and relevant campus offices. Incumbent has responsibility to represent SJSU to prospective students, parents, community college and high school counselors. The position is responsible for maintaining a high level of knowledge regarding CSU admission policies and to provide a high level of customer service to facilitate and ensure quality enrollment experiences at SJSU.
The College of Professional and Global Education (CPGE) has two academic units which offer programs in both regular and special session: The School of Information (SOI) and Department of Applied Data Science (ADS). CPGE is growing its academic programs, and offers four master's degree programs, two certificate programs, and a new undergraduate degree in Information Science and Data Analytics (BS ISDA). Additionally, San Jose State University is growing its undergraduate degree programs via CPGE's academic units as well as through university-wide initiatives such as San Jose Online.
Through its newly created Student Success Center, CPGE is developing comprehensive resources and services to support the college's growing undergraduate student population, including first time freshman and transfer students in CPGE programs as well as students matriculated in one of the San Jose Online degree programs.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge and understanding of all CSU and SJSU admissions policies, requirements and procedures, particularly at the undergraduate program level.
- Ensure the effective communication process - from recruitment through enrollment - to prospective undergraduate students and their families.
- Support the yield process and activities for all admitted undergraduate students in CPGE and San Jose Online degree programs.
- Provide workshops and one-to-one meetings to advise applicants on requirements.
- Participate in designing and conducting SJSU admissions presentations and various workshops as needed or requested.
- Create and attend recruitment activities for undergraduate students at SJSU, community colleges, and high schools within California and out of state.
- Assist with advising and recruitment of prospective freshmen and transfer students for in CPGE and San Jose Online degree programs.
- Conduct in-depth interviews to assess students' needs, goals, major choices, and preparedness for university-level word.
- Provide pre-enrollment advising and prospective student advising.
- Assess academic records of applicants for admission to the university; prepare and transmit individualized evaluation of transfer credit; advise on fulfillment of remaining requirements; assist students in the appropriate appeals process.
- Maintain proficient and up to date knowledge of all enrollment services processes; keep current and interpret program criteria.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Working knowledge of General Education requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of undergraduate advising-related methods, policies, procedures and practices.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups regarding complex student-related matters.
- Thorough knowledge of undergraduate admissions policies and procedures
- Ability to learn and interpret data, policies and procedures, and apply that knowledge to advising practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with users from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds to meet their requirements patiently, effectively, and efficiently.
- Must possess strong oral and written communication skills. Must possess excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated ability to use university systems such as: PeopleSoft, Google Apps, MS Office, Qualtrics, Zoom.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain an understanding of the academic year calendar and processing cycles which affect the workflow.
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate off campus yield events for undergraduate students.
- Ability to check complex records and detailed information for compliance with CSU requirements for student applicants.
- Equivalent to graduate from a 4-year college or university in a related field plus upper division or graduate coursework in higher education/student affairs, counseling, or related field.
- Two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of professional experience.
- Master's degree in higher education or similar field
- 1-2 years of programming in higher education
- 1-2 years of experience in student advising at a public university or community college
- Working experience developing and coordinating recruitment workshops and/or events
- Strong written communication skills
Classification: Student Services Profession II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,524/month - $5,026/month
Hiring Range: $4,304/month - $6,120/month
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: March 18, 2021 through April 1, 2021 . This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
(see application details)
(see application details)
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jose State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San Jose State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
March 18, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
The SJSU Career Center connects tens of thousands of employers to current students and alumni. Get connected to Spartan talent by registering as an employer.