Introduction to Technology - WCCW / MCCCW Relevant Educational Qualifications Job3 months ago - Other categories - Tacoma - 131 views
Tacoma Community College is seeking an Instructor to teach students introductory pre-requisite classes for our full stack web development program at our campus at WCCW in Gig Harbor. Many of our students have little experience with technology and coding. TCC is looking for instructors who can inspire students brand-new to the field, provide foundational technical instruction, and instruct students on the current state of the technology industry and its impact on society. These classes are held at the Washington Corrections Center for Women (WCCW) in Gig Harbor, WA.
- Teach introductory & exploratory courses relating to the technology industry to incarcerated students
- Plan, develop and deliver curriculum content
- Support students in their exercises and project work
- Network with community based organizations that support students returning to their communities
- Work with other instructors and staff to develop additional courses
- Work closely with other instructors, college staff and the Washington Department of Corrections to create quality learning experiences adapted for the prison environment
- Ability to teach a student body diverse in age, ethnicity, and academic skills
- Assist in finding guest speakers and additional instructors
- Perform related duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university
- Two years professional experience in the technology industry or in a high-technology role.
- Fundamental understanding of software development, including the software development process, composition of development teams and/or project management
- Strong understanding of the technology industry, including market and technology trends and the impact of the tech industry on society
- Masters degree in Information Technology or closely related field from an accredited college or university
- Certifications in A+, MCSE, CCent, CompTia NET, or related.
- Experience teaching in a community college
Conditions of Employment
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check.
- Attend and successfully complete the Department of Corrections new employee training.
- Must meet State Vocational Certification requirements.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- Creativity - courses are offered inside a secure prison classroom with no internet access allowed for students. You will need to bring your creativity and solutions to help students adapt their work for a non-internet connected teaching environment
- Competence to teach a variety of courses and to review and develop curriculum.
- Dynamic, non-traditional delivery methods to teach students of widely varying levels of proficiency and from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and learning styles
- Ethics and integrity, and sound professional judgment
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace
- Experience working as a team member with other faculty and staff
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with community members, students, faculty and administration
- Extremely strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Love for teaching technology
- A passion for helping people to learn and grow
- Instructional skills using a variety of teaching methodologies
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to functioning as an effective team member
Complete application packages must include the following.
- Tacoma Community College online application.
- Cover letter and Resume . In your cover letter describe which position you are interested in applying for and how your experience meets the qualifications for the position.
- Copies of transcripts for all colleges and universities attended
Terms of Employment
This is a part-time faculty position contracted on a quarterly basis. Classes assigned to the successful candidate may be on campus, hybrid online, or fully online with an online learning management system (Canvas) component for some class materials. The salary for the 2019/2020 academic year is $862.93 per credit, which includes scheduled class time and final exam days, as well as time for class preparation, weekly office hours, and grading tasks in accordance with the Faculty Negotiated Agreement. A collective bargaining agreement exists, and membership in the TCC Federation of Teachers or payment of a service fee may be available upon employment. Degrees must be from accredited colleges or universities recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and verified by National Student Clearinghouse.
The workplace for this position is located within the Washington Correction Center for Women in Purdy, WA and Mission Creek Corrections Center for Women in Belfair, WA. These are normally a safe environment; however, the potential for compromise of personal safety does exist.
Tacoma Community College values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator
Tacoma Community College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types). Provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students, employees, and applicants with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Federal Rehabilitation Act. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Stephen Smith, Title II and Title IX, (see application details); Dolores Haugen, Section 504 Officer, (see application details). Tacoma Community College is a smoke-free/drug free environment. This recruitment announcement does not reflect the entire job description and can be changed and or modified without notice.
Tacoma Community College
6501 S 19th St Bldg. 14, Tacoma WA 98466
(see application details)
Benefits not applicable.