Genetic Nucleus Farm Manager 7361 in Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina | Careers at HP Smithfield Premium Genetics Relevant Educational Qualifications Job3 months ago - Other categories - Roanoke Rapids - 145 views
Data Collection processes required on SPG Nucleus farms include:
- DNA collection (hair and tissue)
- Managing single sired breeding while maximizing genetic gain and minimizing inbreeding
- Individual pig weights at birth, weaning, feeder, and finishing stages
- Ensuring all sows have 3 forms of identification including EIDs
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Scheduling work for 6 employees and coordinate genetic data collection with Technical Employee
- Scheduling Animal Flow (Gestation Sows, Wean Pigs, Nur Flow, Finishing Flow, Selected Boars)
- Work in Breeding Department to help with and improve performance related to Heat Detection, AI procedures, Condition Scoring, and herd Population Management
- Work in Farrowing Department to ensure proper feeding practices, sow treatments, and ventilation management.
- Work in Nursery/Finishing Department to ensure proper treatments and vaccines are given, ventilation management, genetic breeding stock selection, and marketing strategies
- Teach and implement Smithfield Management Systems
- Perform routine maintenance on farm equipment including feed/fan motors, feed augers, ventilation components.
- Account for Swine movements in and out of 4 cost centers
- Respond to emergency power outage situations
- The farm manager is expected to make frequent decisions related to pig flow, employee safety, HR management, biosecurity, spending while operating in a remote location. Supervisor is often unavailable in person or by phone at the time decisions must be made.
- Manager is responsible for assets on 3 P&L statements totaling $4.23 million annually.
- Responsible for maintaining the health of boars that impact all of Smithfield Eastern Boar Studs or semen production of 455,000 sows. These farms periodically supply boars to genetic partners and customers.
- Daily contact with direct reports and Data Technical Specialist. Regular contact with Operations Manager, Maintenance Staff, Live Haul Drivers, SPG Geneticists, Smithfield lot accounting, HR support team, and others as needed.
- SDI weekly report, Conception Rate Report, Gestation Sow Flow report, Finishing Flow report, Monthly Financial Report, Daily Work Schedule, and others as needed.
- Follow the safety requirements of the Injury Prevention System (IPS).
- Ensures all staff move through the Training and Certification process as rapidly as possible.
- Ensures the operation is functioning in an environmentally responsible way and practicing approved land and nutrient management techniques. Functions as a company steward of land resources.
- Ensures that the farm working environment is safe, by providing equipment, training, and actions to prevent hazardous conditions by meeting Smithfield-IPS standards.
- Ensures all equipment, machinery and vehicles are accounted for and properly maintained.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield Hog Production LLC subscribes.
- Incumbent will be responsible for understanding and complying with company EMS policies and procedures in the performance of their job duties.
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
- Read and understand the company's emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site.
- Performs all other activities and responsibilities as defined by management.
- Responsible to ensure that all animals are managed in accordance with Smithfield Animal Care Policy, and employees are trained and accountable to that standard.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- B.S. in Animal Science (or related field) and 2+ years relevant experience, or equivalent production experience required.
- Proficient in excel and word
- Able to operate handheld PDAs and electronic scanners
- Farm manager needs to have basic maintenance skills that will allow them to troubleshoot and repair electrical items like motors and heaters, and plumbing skills to allow them to repair PVC under 2" diameter
- Must be able to operate tractor (under 35 HP) and/or Lawn Equipment
- Successful completion of Smithfield Hog Production Manager in Training Program, or demonstrated equivalent experience in another large live production system
- Strong commitment to team work.
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility
- Ability to follow instructions and deal with standardized situations.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be able to operate a high pressure washing system.
- Must be able to work an average 48 hour week, which can vary frequently.
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed.
- Must be on call to work in emergency situations to include but not limited to, power outages or personnel shortages.
- Must be supportive of the mission of raising swine for human consumption of high quality pork products.
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Responsible for directly supervising farm employees for all their daily tasks.
- Coordinates schedule of Technical Data Specialist who works daily on the farm but reports to Genetic Programs Director.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit (please use the apply button below)
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.(R)" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield(R), Eckrich(R) and Nathan's Famous(R), among many others. For more information, visit (please use the apply button below), and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
We offer opportunities for advancement, academic scholarships, and one of the best safety records in the industry.
We Foster a Welcoming Workplace.
With a goal of maintaining low employee injury rates, we prioritize the health, safety, learning and development and well-being of our employees.