Farm Assistant - Red Hook Initiative Any Educational Level Job11 months ago - Secretarial / Front Desk / Assistance Job - Brooklyn - 258 views
The Farm Assistant supports all production and maintenance needs of our two farm sites: the 2.75 acre Columbia Street Farm and the 1.1 acre Wolcott Street Farm. Under the guidance of the Columbia Street Farm Manager, the Farm Assistant will perform a variety of tasks included but not limited to seeding, watering, planting, harvesting, processing produce, weeding, composting, mowing, mulching, and pruning. They will also be responsible for greenhouse maintenance as well as chicken care. Off the farms, the Farm Assistant will also support distribution through staffing farms stands and/or farm share distributions. They will regularly work alongside high school-aged youth employees as well as adult volunteers as they engage in a variety of farm tasks. A small amount of data entry (planting logs, harvest tallies) will also be required throughout the growing season.
- Daily tasks that support food production goals and ongoing maintenance requirements of the farms such as seeding, planting, watering, weeding, and harvesting;
- Vegetable processing for distribution including washing, bunching, and bundling produce;
- Engage with farm stand visitors and/or farm share participants;
- Serve as a positive role model to youth employees and adult volunteers;
- Support site visits from funders, elected officials, peer programs, and others;
- Light data entry and other record-keeping;
- Collaborate on special events on the farms such as fundraisers and community festivals;
- Participate in staff meetings, social media outreach, and program planning as necessary.
- Excited to learn urban farming best practices and techniques;
- Ready to work outside, in all types of weather;
- Open to direction, works well in a team;
- Willing to take initiative and lead farm tasks with groups of youth or adult volunteers;
- Commitment to social justice;
- Positive attitude!
- Ability to work collaboratively with those from various racial, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds;
- Outgoing, personable, able to effectively engage with community members;
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Background in urban farming or vegetable gardening;
- Experience in the operation of farm stands or markets;
- Knowledge of chicken care;
- Social media savvy, particularly Instagram and Facebook;
- Comfortable using Microsoft suite and Google Drive;
- Familiar with Red Hook community as well as NYC urban agriculture community;
- Carpentry and other building skills.
Email resume and cover letter in a single pdf to email@example.com. Please write “Farm Assistant” in the subject line. Interviews will be scheduled as applications are received. No calls please.