Entrepreneur Instructor - BUILD Bachelor's Degree Job7 months ago - Education / Teaching Job - New York City - 219 views
BUILD NYC’s ability to build a dedicated team with the right mix of skills and passion for our mission is critical to our future growth in NYC. Therefore, we are passionate about sourcing exceptional talent. We seek achievers, leaders, visionaries and change-makers. At BUILD NYC, each team member brings their skills to a challenging and evolving vision of how we can profoundly influence our students, their schools and their communities.
Reporting to the Curriculum & Instruction Program Manager, the Entrepreneur Instructor is responsible for fostering a positive and productive classroom culture and facilitating BUILD’s Entrepreneurship 1 (E1) program for 9th grade students. S/he will be responsible for lesson planning and driving student outcomes that align with BUILD standards and values.
- Position Responsibilities:Teach three sections of Entrepreneurship 1 (E1), 20-25 students per class, using the BUILD curriculum and accompanying materials.
- Assess students' academic and social needs and provide developmentally appropriate instruction utilizing BUILD curricular resources and in collaboration with BUILD staff.
- Adhere to the pacing and overall structure of the curriculum, while modifying to best fit your school/student context within established parameters (ex. customizing handouts with student names/school, inserting local examples, etc.).
- Attend/Facilitate three to five afternoon or evening student showcases and Business Plan Competition during the spring (dates TBD with at least 30 days advance notice with possible weekend dates).
- Participate in regularly scheduled check-ins with BUILD staff at the school site and in collaborative learning sessions (location and time TBD).
- In collaboration with BUILD staff, manage mentors by consistently monitoring their attendance at afterschool sessions, providing needed support, and sending them regular communication, including weekly mentor session email update at least 24 hours in advance.
- Regularly and accurately monitor, assess, record and report student progress (attendance, behavior and class performance) to BUILD and high school staff, and families on a consistent basis, meeting program deadlines as assigned.
- Communicate regularly with Curriculum & Instruction Program Manager regarding student concerns, such as academic declines, behavior issues, attendance problems, challenging family circumstances, etc.
- Distribute, collect and submit to BUILD all needed program documents including but not limited to rosters, information sheets, field trip forms, and releases on time. BUILD staff will communicate submission deadlines with at least two weeks’ notice.
- Facilitate the administration of a pre-and-post social and emotional skills assessment in compliance with BUILD instructions.
- Monitor and reconcile student bank account transactions in accordance with BUILD Finance Policy & Procedure.
- Maintain positive, constructive communication with students, BUILD staff, schools, parents, mentors and community.
- Candidate Requirements:Currently attending a 4 year institution (completed at least a full year of college)
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or counseling and/or teaching credential preferred
- Experience managing events and coaching teachers strongly preferred
- Entrepreneurial, business or start-up experience a plus
- Knowledge of the NY community a plus
- Spanish fluency a plus
- Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:Coaching—provides direct guidance, support, and feedback through observations, modeling, scaffolding, check-ins and any other strategies necessary to ensure effective program implementation by educators, mentors and staff
- Group/Team Facilitation—utilizes a variety of planning tools and facilitation strategies to effectively deliver information to a group so that they learn and achieve goals
- Managing and Motivating (Student, Staff, and Volunteers) Performance —sets clear goals and expectations, tracks progress, provides feedback and addresses issues promptly in order to ensure high performance of self and others
- Project Management—identifies and thinks through all necessary steps of a project, sets appropriate deadlines, moves seamlessly between prioritized tasks, identifies required participants and holds self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines
- Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis—reviews quantitative and/or qualitative data sets in order to recognize patterns, identifies additional information or data needed, and draws conclusions
- Strategic Thinking—takes into account and analyzes various points of view and data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context; includes identifying or anticipating problems and implementing solutions
- Part-time/seasonal (20 hrs/week)
- Location: Bronx Career and College Preparatory High School
- 20 hours/week
- Program Hours –
- November – December:
Monday/Wednesday/ Friday, 12 PM - 2 PM; Tuesday/Thursday, 8 AM - 4 PM
- January – June:
Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 8 AM - 4 PM; Tuesday/Thursday, 12 PM - 2 PM
- Frequent travel between local sites is required.
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for generous paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, and a flexible work environment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.