Enterprise Computing Operations Specialist Relevant Educational Qualifications Job3 months ago - Other categories - Rochester - 144 views
When you are ready to apply, registering only takes a minute. Your online account allows you to upload your resume or CV, apply for jobs and access our online career tools.
For general questions about the online application process, please call Ask-URHR at (see application details) or email (see application details) (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled
Requests for accommodations should be directed to (see application details).
FAQs for Applicants
Time as Reported Grade 077 University IT / ECC
Non Standard Hours; OCC WKNDS/HOL
The University of Rochester is one of the country's top-tier research universities. Our campuses are home to 200 academic majors , more than 2,000 faculty and instructional staff, and some 10,000 students-approximately half of whom are women. The University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) is one of the nation's leading academic medical centers. It forms the centerpiece of the University of Rochester's health research, teaching and patient care missions.
University IT and the Center for Integrated Research Computing (CIRC) provide University-wide leadership for the extensive and diverse technology initiatives required by a leading research university. As the primary hub for IT programs and initiatives, this organization engages constituents University-wide to provide:
- Advanced computational and data analytics support to departments and centers across the University.
- Enterprise-wide academic and administrative applications.
- An institution-wide information security program to protect the University's data and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Robust IT infrastructure including a 24x7 150-mile optical network and 12,000 square foot primary and secondary Data Center facilities.
- And, a collaborative and diverse team that creates integrated, secure and dependable IT systems and practices that support efficient and cost-effective distribution of information in support of University missions.
Summary of Role:
Responsibilities are focused around supporting high-end IT systems. The role is responsible for assisting in troubleshooting and resolving issues within the Enterprise Data Centers including voice and network services, servers, desktop applications, hardware and operating systems. The team is accountable for documentation of systems, procedures, diagnostic processes and methods to determine root cause of complex technical issues, system monitoring and escalations. In addition, this role is responsible for shift turnover, proactive monitoring and reporting on daily system health checks of e-mail, authentication, anti-virus, and other critical systems.
- Monitors Primary and Second Data Center operations interfaces for hardware issues and assists with maintenance and/or urgent IT issue; escalates when appropriate. Monitors peripheral equipment to escalate hardware or processing issues using documentation instructions. May operate or monitor the operation of remotely hosted systems and/or equipment.
- Responds to alerts and queries and instructions generated by computers and peripherals in the Data Centers. Recognizes common malfunctions and responds to computer hardware errors to correct the issue; completes the initial analysis or corrects the malfunction; escalates when new or unfamiliar issues are encountered. Refers difficult problems to designated authority.
- Protects against unauthorized access to or the destruction of data, equipment and materials. Completes daily system health checks of e-mail, authentication, anti-virus, and other critical systems and assists with reporting. Handles input and output materials, separates printouts and distributes materials to designated pick-up areas.
- 10% Drafts detail for emergency communications, and provides real-time updates to management and executives. Makes entries in operational and administrative logs and forms. Participates in after-hours maintenance and other duties as assigned. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to prioritize one's own work.
- Provide insight and interpretation of the environment and the data being presented/reported to help discover the appropriate solution/approach. Performs supplemental tasks such as cleaning equipment, inspecting cabling and other connections, setting discs. May recommend new procedures and changes to the operations manual; may assist with drafting new procedures.
- Keep abreast of current IT computing and mobile technologies through education, web searches, and formal seminars.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Data Center Operations working with various monitoring tools.
- Ability to analyze and accurately report technical issues, including troubleshooting applications and OS problems.
- Technical ability to leverage existing technologies and tools for improved (higher productivity and efficiency) IT solutions.
- Basic understanding of technologies/hardware including but not limited to servers, network hardware, printers and scanners, cloud-based & on premise e-mail, operating systems (Windows, Apple, Unix), Microsoft productivity products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Visio) and security & encryption software.
- Compute hardware and software troubleshooting experience
- Proficient with the use of remote-control tools.
Required Business Skills:
- Problem solving and troubleshooting abilities.
- Ensures customer satisfaction and appropriate follow-through in all interactions through a sense of urgency.
- Open to different perspectives and flexible to change.
- Understands and models organizational mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates the ability to re-prioritize as directed.
High School education and 2 years of related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Since Data Center Operations is a 24x7x365 operation, it is a requirement of the position that the Enterprise Computing Operations Specialist adheres to attendance requirements to ensure coverage, including on call rotations, and must be available at any time as business needs require.
PLEASE NOTE: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as required.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled