Data Base Administrator Relevant Educational Qualifications Job5 months ago - Administrative / Management Jobs - Rochester - 115 views
When you are ready to apply, registering only takes a minute. Your online account allows you to upload your resume or CV, apply for jobs and access our online career tools.
For general questions about the online application process, please call Ask-URHR at (see application details) or email (see application details) (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
EOE Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled
Requests for accommodations should be directed to (see application details).
FAQs for Applicants
Full Time 40 hours Grade 055 University IT / CTS
8 AM-5 PM
The University of Rochester is one of the country's top-tier research universities. Our campuses are home to 200 academic majors, more than 2,000 faculty and instructional staff, and some 10,000 students from all over the United States and around the world. The University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC) is one of the nation's leading academic medical centers, which forms the centerpiece of the University of Rochester's health research, teaching and patient care missions.
University IT and the Center of Integrated Research Computing (CIRC) provide University-wide leadership for the extensive and diverse technology initiatives required by a leading research university. As the primary hub for IT programs and initiatives, this organization engages constituents University-wide to provide:
- Advanced computational and data analytics support to departments and centers across the University.
- Enterprise-wide academic and administrative applications.
- An institution-wide information security program to protect the University's data and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Robust IT infrastructure including a 24x7 150-mile optical network and 12,000 square foot primary and secondary Data Center facilities.
- And, a collaborative and diverse team that creates integrated, secure and dependable IT systems and practices that support efficient and cost-effective distribution of information in support of University missions.
Summary of Role:
The University of Rochester is recruiting a Lead Analyst/Programmer to work on the design, implementation, maintenance and support of database systems that support University applications. This person will manage and administer database systems along with performance monitoring and tuning of these systems. The position receives direction from the Assistant Director as well as coordination from, and with, various senior leadership members and peer team members.
Under general guidance with latitude for judgment and initiative, be a role model and team player with the ability to interact effectively with co-workers and management, be self-motivated with a willingness to learn, be flexible and adaptable to an ever-changing environment, initiate activity with a willingness to exercise calculated risk, and demonstrate a positive and professional attitude.
- 25% Install, maintain, and upgrade database software. Serve as a primary resource to maintain development, test, and production database environments. Monitor and manages database backups, logs, and journals and restore or recover data as required. Design, develop and maintain high availability and disaster recovery strategies for database environments. Monitors and maintains database security.
- 25% Monitor databases to optimize database performance, resource use, and database performance. Address database integration issues including the migration between disparate databases, maintenance integration activities, data conversions, capacity planning issues, query tuning and new application deployments.
- 20% Design and develop databases in conjunction with application teams. Provide advice to application programmers in the effective use of database languages; assist with troubleshooting, and support miscellaneous other data management issues. Install, maintain and upgrade application software. Create procedures and maintain various database, application and system related documents and programs such as scripts, solution designs and run books. Respond constructively and with innovation to end-user requirements by understanding the business problem, technical and communications requirements, and the level of service the user community expects. Be able to think in creative ways in order to methodically reach desired goals in a wide scope and breadth of communications needs.
- 20% Participate in proof of concept initiatives as assigned. Demonstrate organizational skills that support group and department reporting needs. Participate in projects as assigned. Maintain an accurate inventory of all database infrastructure.
- 10% Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned. Provides 24-hour on-call support when scheduled. Serve as escalation to others serving in an on-call role.
Required Technical Skills:
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft SQL Database environments.
- Demonstrated proficiency in database tuning, data modeling, and troubleshooting is required
- Demonstrated proficiency with Windows operating systems
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience in programming and scripting preferred.
Required Business Skills:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to provide on-call support as required.
- Ability to perform after-hours and weekend maintenance and implementation activities.
- Ability to travel to and from Data Center facilities.
- Ability to actively participate in a team.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at one time and meet required deadlines.
- Ability to contribute both individually and as part of or technically leading a team.
- Interact with all levels of staff, as appropriate, to communicate, and to process communications from others on technical change. Be able to present technology in non-technical terms and recognize the extent to which a given audience requires this. Have oral speaking and presentation skills to various levels of the University community.
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor's degree in related discipline such as Computer Science, Business, Mathematics, Statistics, Science or Engineering, and 4 - 5 years of related experience, preferably 2 - 3 years in a supervisory capacity ; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Major hierarchical data base or major rational data base packages, communication and distributed systems experience preferred.
NOTE: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as required.
How To Apply
All applicants must apply online.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled