Construction Manager Relevant Educational Qualifications Job3 months ago - Other categories - Seattle - 157 views
The following duties are a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
- Leads, coordinates, schedules, assigns, and inspects the work activities of assigned staff, consultants, and contractors for assigned projects. Operating from a central office or construction field office location, makes frequent site visits to observe site conditions, site safety and security, construction activities, and incident response.
- Manages, supervises, and coordinates assigned construction and construction management consultant contracts; budgets for assigned contracts; monitors cost and cash flow and administers contingency funds; ensures each contract is completed within the scope, schedule, and budget.
- Provides input and assists in the management of project development tasks including environmental processes, real estate acquisition, site investigations, third party agreements, and permits.
- Reviews and provides comments related to constructability and biddability for all construction documents, plans and specifications, technical memoranda, design/construction plans, and other project related materials for assigned area of responsibility. Gains a full understanding of the work and the documents, identifies conflicts, errors, and missing information related to the construction of the project.
- Oversees assembly of construction contract documents; assures that contract documents are clear, complete, comprehensive, and well-coordinated.
- Reviews submittals, requests for information, and field clarifications; and verifies quality control to ensure compliance and accountability with the Contract Documents and all current and applicable local, state and federal codes, laws, rules and regulations, and Agency policies and procedures. Ensures appropriate routing and approvals of contractor-submitted materials.
- Reviews the work sequences, interfaces, and time durations in schedules to identify potential conflicts, and to ensure that work is efficiently planned and executed. Provides suggestions on how to expedite work to meet schedule requirements and tracks schedule delays and reasons for delays.
- Reviews pay applications, change orders, and provisional sum allocations for entitlement, completeness, accuracy, and adherence to contract requirements; works with project staff to issue clarifications on contract documents and ST requirements; negotiates change order costs; performs or obtains independent cost estimates for changed work; prepares and reviews change orders and correspondence to contractors.
- Assures contractor and consultant compliance with the Sound Transit health, safety, and security management programs and development and implementation of project specific safety and security management plans for assigned projects in accordance with all code and contract requirements. Assures that effective measures are in place to identify and manage construction health, safety, and security risks to contractor and consultant staff and the public.
- Assures contractor compliance with technical plans and specifications; and reviews documentation and files for accuracy and completeness, including daily reports and construction logs. Oversees the construction management consultant and assures implementation of the project Quality Management Plans and assures that special inspections and tests are performed in accordance with all code and specification requirements.
- Works with the construction management consultants and contractors to expedite problem solving and avoid delays in the work; attempts to negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues at the lowest level.
- Attends and participates in professional associations; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies, and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable local, state and federal laws, as well as Agency policies and procedures.
- Assists program consultants and contractors in the administration and implementation of projects related to contracts and program phases such as design, permitting, procurement, and construction.
- Assists in the development of the assigned program's/project's annual budget; forecasts funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; ensures that project expenditures and cost estimates are adequately documented and monitored; reviews and approves expenditures; and implements adjustments.
- Provides support to the Construction Management Division on matters as directed; participates in committees as assigned; prepares and presents staff reports; attends and participates in professional groups; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies, and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to follow the Agency safety rules, regulations, and procedures pertaining to their assigned duties and responsibilities.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to integrate sustainability into everyday business practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors Degree in architecture, civil engineering, construction management, or closely related field and six years of experience in construction supervision, construction contract administration, or engineering project management, preferably in heavy civil, transit, buildings, structural or underground construction; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Desired experience in public works construction and alternative project delivery methods.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
- Professional Engineer or Architect license issued by the State of Washington.
- Certified Construction Manager issued by the Construction Management Certification Institute.
- Certification as a Project Management Professional by the Project Management Institute.
Required Knowledge of:
- The principles and practice of engineering, project management, and construction management.
- Familiarity with construction materials, equipment, means and methods, safety, temporary construction structures, and risks in construction associated with materials, equipment, and means and methods.
- Methods and techniques of developing, analyzing, and managing complex construction schedules.
- General knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations pertaining to engineering and construction of civil works and buildings.
- Risk assessment and management.
- Principles of cost management including expenditure tracking and variance identification.
- General understanding of contract and procurement strategies and associated procurement laws, regulations, and management principles.
- Techniques to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities.
- Principles of effective oral and written communications.
Required Skill in:
- Oversight and management of a construction program that may include one or a series of inter-related projects of significant size and complexity.
- Negotiating and administering construction and engineering services contracts and third party agreements.
- Applying advanced project management techniques and principles.
- Leading and delegating daily tasks, communicating, and providing feedback and work direction to assigned staff.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, management, vendors, outside agencies, community groups, and the general public.
- Interpreting and administering regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Preparing, reviewing, and administering large project budgets.
- Business letter writing and report preparation.
- Interpretation of contract documents including risk allocation, strategies, organization, and content.
- Conceptualizing, influencing, developing, and administering goals, objectives, guidelines, policies, and procedures for the Division/Department.
- Critical and strategic problem solving, preparing, and analyzing complex data and reports.
- Effective oral and written communication.
- Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
- Techniques to work effectively under pressure, meet deadlines, and adjust to changing priorities.
- Basic skill in office administrative procedures and equipment including use of computers and applications including MS Office and scheduling and contract management programs.
Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- Work is performed primarily on a construction site with time split between working in the field and in a field office.
- May occasionally be exposed to dangerous machinery, extreme weather conditions, physical harm, and extreme noise when conducting site visits and when working in the field.
- Subject to standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, reaching, stooping, and lifting of objects up to 50 pounds.
- The Agency promotes a safe and healthy work environment and provides appropriate personal protective equipment and training for all personnel as required for their duties.
** THIS JOB POSTING MAY BE USED TO FILL MULTIPLE POSITIONS
Sound Transit is an equal employment opportunity employer. No person is unlawfully excluded from employment action based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or other protected class.
Come work for us
Looking to make a difference? Now’s your chance! We are looking for people to help us plan, build and run one of the largest regional transit systems in the country.