Communications Specialist Relevant Educational Qualifications Job2 months ago - Other categories - New York City - 138 views
Position summary: Under the supervision of the senior manager of communications and communications manager, the PR communications specialist will play proactive and project-management roles in the creation and delivery of external content and classic PR and media relations activities, including social media interaction, as part of a group that strives to secure consequential and insightful media coverage across multi-channel platforms. The specialist will help steer Cooley through a rapidly transforming communications landscape, where both the means and the types of content and media are in flux. As well as liaising with our PR agencies to help build substantive media relations with leading journalists and publications, the specialist will play a key role in assisting partners and associates adapt to the new methods of communicating and branding.
In conjunction with the communications team, the specialist will:
- Play a pivotal role in the marketing department leading the flow of high-quality content to protect and promote Cooley's brand across paid, earned, shared and owned media.
- Work on tight deadlines with multiple partner groups gaining approval on press releases, nominations, social media interactions, thought leadership opportunities, and other media, to raise awareness of Cooley LLP for internal and external audiences, established and new.
- Build externally on Cooley's rapid developments in terms of internal communications, employee engagement, and communications methods such as video, Q&As, and more.
- Liaise with Cooley's PR firm to enable seamless flow of information, logistical planning, and positioning to optimize timely sharing of achievements and comment.
- Work with key partner spokespeople on media interviews, supporting practice group and firm goals; interview preparation, preparing Q&A documents, reviewing general interviewing tips, and developing talking points.
- Collaborate with social media specialist to help educate the firm's lawyers on social media responsibilities and opportunities, including tip sheets, one-on-one training, and general support.
- Collaborate with social media specialist to track, analyze and report on social and other media traction, including followers and sharing and audience type, by industry and geography and other metrics.
- Work closely with select practice group leaders to help implement PR programs that support that group's business development objectives, including roundtable and other innovative face time opportunities to build brand, relationships and reputation.
- Generate more compelling build-up, presence and follow-up to premium Cooley events, merging media skills with networking and dynamic people management skills, to further the business development and client engagement ROI.
- Assist with video projects, including development of filming and directorial skill, as well as storyboarding.
- Ensure that the firm's highest editorial standards are consistently maintained.
- Be entrusted with matters of utmost sensitivity in terms of reputation management, crisis management, personnel changes, and other events. Monitor global media channels and support senior team in project management where necessary.
- Earn the responsibility and respect as a trusted go-to professional by the partners and management of the firm
Skills & Experience:
- 2+ years' experience in Marketing / Public Relations / Communications-related field.
- College degree or equivalent.
- Solid knowledge of all types of publications and social media channels, especially those that a firm like Cooley will most effectively engage.
- Knowledge of the technology and life sciences sectors, as well as more traditional New York-style practices including bankruptcy, real estate, tax and complex commercial litigation.
- After orientation at Cooley, exhibit proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other Cooley applications including firm marketing systems software.
- Project management skills.
- Adept at new and rapidly transforming technologies, especially in media and social media monitoring and analysis.
- Ability to work overtime, as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Business, or related field.
- Hands-on experience in media relations pitching.
- Experience in a law firm or professional services environment, with a working knowledge of professional services sectors.
- Familiarity with video production.
- Ability to work with little direction, in a highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Comprehensive, accurate note-taking and excellent proofreading skills.
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, work well under pressure and coordinate sophisticated PR programs with good results.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines, including self-set and multi-tasked.
- Assertive, but flexible as to style; must be able to handle stressful situations and interact with various personalities and communication styles at all levels in the firm.
- Strong analytic and research skills.
- Exhibit high energy and genuine enthusiasm for law firm media relations activities and goals while maintaining a healthy, competitive spirit.
- Experience in earning the trust and respect of high-performing senior professionals in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to develop professional relationships both internally (with department members, attorneys and professional staff) and externally (with industry/regional associations, etc.).
- Must be reliable and punctual.
Cooley offers a competitive compensation and excellent benefits package.
True commitment to workplace diversity means offering all employees the tools, training and mentoring they need to succeed. It means embracing the importance of diversity on our client teams. It enables every individual to balance work and family obligations. It is about fostering community involvement and participation in local and national diversity initiatives. It means leading by example in our profession. Cooley is an equal opportunity employer.