Manager of Communications, Policy, and Advocacy for a Community-Based Health Care Organization. Join us in our work to improve access to health care for all! We’re looking for a team member who approaches their work with a sense of humor, a deep curiosity, and an enthusiasm for trying new things. Working as collaborative member of the small but mighty Communications and Government Affairs team, the Manager participates in a wide variety of activities including news and social media, community engagement, advocacy in the policymaking process, and external relations.
Policy, Government Affairs, and Advocacy Responsibilities:
- Track and interpret policies and key issues, monitor trends and opportunities
- Participate in the policy-making process through campaigns and coalitions, letter-writing, public comment, and direct outreach to policymakers
- Participate in and coordinate advocacy activities including building a culture of advocacy
Media Relations and Storytelling Responsibilities:
- Coordinate media relations activities including: identification of news opportunities and feature story ideas, writing news releases/media advisories, pitching to targeted media, responding to media calls, preparing talking points for interviewees and developing statements in response to media inquiries, and supporting subject matter experts when engaging externally
- Draft talking points, messaging documents, blog posts, policy papers, website content, agency updates for internal and external audiences, and other written resources
Successful members of our team are proactive, responsive, flexible, and creative, and never lose sight of the details.
Education and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Deep understanding of best practices in media communication and social media
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and internet applications
- Understanding of the local, state, and federal policy-making process, particularly for safety-net services
Skills and Abilitites Required:
- Naturally takes initiative and is genuinely enthusiastic about pitching in whenever needed
- Excellent interpersonal, public speaking, and communication skills
- Outstanding writing skills including drafting, editing, and proofreading
- Exemplifies professionalism and is simultaneously reliable and flexible, and has a high tolerance for ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Thrives by working in diverse environments with a diversity of collaborators
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple priorities, track projects and timelines, and follow-through
- Passionate about healthcare, harm reduction, and social justice especially for people with histories of addiction, mental health disorders, and criminal justice involvement
- Fluent in Spanish
In your cover letter please tell us why you’re a great fit for the position
HealthRIGHT 360 offers a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
San Francisco, CA