Chief of Police Relevant Educational Qualifications Job4 months ago - Other categories - Sacramento - 140 views
Under the general direction of the Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer, the Chief of Police serves as the University's senior Law Enforcement Officer and is responsible for establishing a vision that integrates the principles of community policing into the leadership of the University Police Department. The Sacramento State Police Department, a fully sworn and POST certified police agency, is responsible for the overall protection of life and property within the jurisdictional boundaries of the University, for a campus community comprised of students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The Chief works collaboratively with members of the University community and its neighbors to provide proactive, service-oriented, and responsive community policing programs 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
FLSA MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
$6,250 - $18,750 monthly
Hiring Range Open and salary is commensurate with experience.
Salary Grade/Range 1
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent? No
Regular or Temporary Regular
Full Time or Part Time Full Time
Pay Plan 12
Work Hours Typically Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm with other hours required, which may be highly variable due to the nature of the position.
The mission of the Sacramento State Police Department is to protect the life, property, and peace of mind of the students, faculty, staff and visitors of this university. Sacramento State is seeking candidates who understand the needs of the campus community, including the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, are committed to the California State University tenets of 21st Century Policing, and can facilitate the process of reimagining what policing could look like on campus.
This position is critical, as the police chief is accountable for much more than oversight of officers and campus law enforcement. The candidate who fills this position will play a pivotal role in preparing for and responding to campus emergencies such as the pandemic and recent wildfires, serving as an incident commander in the Emergency Operations Center.
For more information, please visit our website at: (please use the apply button below)
- Currently an employed sworn peace officer or honorably retired within the past year and able to meet California Peace Officers Standards and Training ( POST ) certification requirements within one year of appointment
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent
- 15 years of law enforcement experience, including a minimum of four years of management and administrative responsibility at the command level (Lieutenant or above)
- Knowledge of current policing trends regarding existing and emerging issues and changes in policy that may affect the campus at the campus, local, state, and federal level
- Proven understanding and commitment to practices embedded in the 21st Century Policing model
- Demonstrated comprehension of police methods and philosophies, law enforcement practices/procedures and legal issues
- Ability to employ diplomacy and hypervigilance relating to current events which affect policing matters
- Demonstrate an open, participatory, flexible, team-oriented management style that includes the ability to clearly articulate ideas, verbally and in writing;
- Proven ability to proactively establish rapport with campus and community constituents from diverse backgrounds;
- Possess experience policing at an institution which employs shared governance among constituents; ability to promote community involvement and effective working relationships between law enforcement and the larger community;
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to explain, persuade, direct, and relate easily and comfortably with widely diverse groups and individuals in a collegial environment, while maintaining a professional demeanor representative of the Police Department;
- Ability to communicate effectively in a wide variety of roles and settings - as an incident commander, an emergency manager, a public speaker, a trainer/educator, a change agent, a collaborator/team player, a mentor/coach, etc.;
- Proven track record of successful formal and informal interactions with managers and professionals, including academic and administrative leaders, such as the provost, the vice president for student affairs, auxiliary directors, and others across the institution; and as a representative with state and federal agencies, city and county officials, and business and community groups; ability to work collaboratively with internal and external communities to accomplish mutual goals;
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and ability to successfully manage complex financial and accounting issues to administer an operational budget, and to formulate long-term budget scenarios to meet strategic plans;
- Ability to ensure compliance with federal and state campus crime legislation, based on thorough knowledge of public safety, law enforcement, and security methods as they relate to a campus environment ( FERPA , Clery, Patriot Act);
- Knowledge of pertinent collective bargaining principles and the California Peace Officers Bill of Rights.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain standards of professionals ethics and adhere to law enforcement codes of conduct;
- Must possess valid California driver's license at time of appointment and maintain a good driving record
- Be lawfully authorized to carry a firearm.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- A background check must be satisfactorily completed.
- Completion of POST Management Certificate.
- A graduate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Experience working in an institution of higher education
- Understanding of staff and student employment in a shared governance environment.
- Experience with collective bargaining agreements and labor-management relations.
- Familiarity with the California State University System
- Demonstrated ability to lead organizational change efforts utilizing stakeholder input while engaging and developing team members.
Is Background Check Required Yes
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
-Candidate selected will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Hiring Preference Not Applicable
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/be... .
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.htm... .
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report ( ASR ) is available for viewing at (please use the apply button below) .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Posting Number AS0866P
Number of Vacancies 1
Open Date 03/25/2021
Open Until Filled Yes
Priority Application Deadline 04/21/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position works on-site during the COVID -19 campus closure.
Recruitment is open until filled. The priority application deadline is April 21, 2021.
All application materials must be directed to the search firm Bob Murray and Associates. Visit (please use the apply button below) to apply online.
Contact Name Mr. Joel Bryden, Bob Murray and Associates
Contact Phone (please use the apply button below)
Contact Email (see application details)